Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Mount K Challenge




Hey everyone, thanks for checking on this blog though I have disappeared for a week!

And you know what , I did it! I scaled the highest mountain in SE Asia. Well to be honest it was tough, I didn't exactly reach the summit , but nevertheless I still got a cert for reaching the top part. I had to turn back just only 30 metres away from Low's Peak ( the highest at 4095metres) because of bad weather and lack of time. (Trust me, when you had been climbing for 2 days , frozen, wet, almost faint with exhaustion plus depleting oxygen -30 metres is a HUGE diff!)

I didn't mind though, the point is I came away enlarged inside. And I think one day I'll do it again.



You can google and read all about Mont K but here I will summarise the important lessons learnt while up in the pitch darkness and solitude , the only way out is UP. In fact, the whole journey was not just physical, it really mirrored our spiritual journey:

1) Never give up.The journey was not about speed although a few of them did it quite fast and had altitude sickness! It was all about focus and perseverance. The goal was the top...just keep walking step by step. Sometimes along the way it was just another step or I'll just reach that bush or rock and I'll rest for abit and start again. It's the will versus the body aches, tiredness, emotions..same with christian journey never give up at obstacles, pain, tiredness.

2) A personal walk. We started off as a group, but slowly it dwindled and we were separated because of different stamina and speed. Sometimes friends were ahead of the journey or , at times I passed them and more often....there were stretches where I was hiking alone (or got left behind!) for a long time. Lkewise in the Christian walk we started of with many support but there are seasons, you have to go through alone and your friends may come and help you but they too have their own journey. Really it's often up to you to keep moving, just you and the mountain, and just me and God.

3) It's hardest when darkest. When we reached Laban Rata at midpoint, it was pure joy cos we had a comfy hostel to rest in, hot shower and a couple hours of sleep. But at 2am, we had to resume the hike in pitch darkness to reach teh peak at sunrise. Many climbers were tested along this second stretch which was more difficult and cold too! While going up we saw them walking back, it was a real temptation to give up then!So here I was , trying to breathe but i could only hear my heart pounding the silence..the air was getting thinner. I remember thinking: Why am I doing this? Now's it's too late to turn back yet too soon for the peak, I must reach it! And fear hit me when we came to the high slopes with ropes, I was hiking in the pitch darkness. you only see one step at a time. ..with your tiny torchlight..so really it's all about FAITH, I had to trust the rope in the dark. And the Lord being your lamp ? The little steps of faith matter most to Him.

4) Trust. Gotta have trust on your climbing buddies...and trusting God, to overcome the fear of falling down and some tricky parts...i fell twice actually, minor bruises but it taught me to get up and keep walking and not just sit there to rest...so in life, we must get up everytime we fall.

5) Encouragement. I give credit to Jon for helping me heaps, he literally dragged me up! He could have reached the peak faster but he stayed behind to help me and also James and Cissie. We were in the last batch and all we did was just to encourage one another to keep goin. Encouraging climbing buddies are a must! Sometimes I was too tired and I almost gave up, but my friends kept me goin..and cheering me and scolding me (Faster, don't stop! The sun is coming up! Oi , don't sit laaaa!) hahaha.. I mentioned the journey was personal but it's also about a community, a circle of friends to give us the extra push.


4) Enter the promise land. The dawn was approaching fast...and at the top i could see the peak! It was only 30 meters up there! Sad to say I couldn't enter the promise land this time. It was too late, the mists were swirling in fast which means rain and slippery descent. I was so close yet so far. It was painful when the guide made me turn back, I couldn't believe this and I felt really disappointed . In faith, I wouldn't want to miss it for the world, when you're almost there, you just have to enter the land so you can be like Paul and proudly say : I have run the race and fight the good fight. Ah well, thank God I still have many chances in climbing Mount K but I pray for the eternal journey that I will make it without too many ifonlys , whatifs, couldhaves, shouldhaves and maybes.

In the end, the view was worth it all...a crown worth all the pain and sweat! ( The sun was mainly covered by the mists but we saw a glimmer, just imagine how glorious it would be on a clear day =)

1 Comments:

At 8:04 PM, Blogger Jon Ng said...

you did your best,Sara.....And you know you did. Well, there's always a second chance, the mountain won't move away...it'll just stay and wait for you to reach its peak again. So, don't give up,k!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home